At The Slocum Agency Inc. near Warwick, RI, we’ve had to help a large number of people with classic car insurance. Unfortunately, people rarely fully understand the qualifications for this insurance and believe that they qualify when they do not. The following elements are necessary before you are eligible:
- Vehicle Types – Cars made in specific periods, typically based on the age of the car or something unique about its production, and special-print vehicles are all considered classic cars by many collectors.
- Age Limitations – The minimum age for a classic car – in most states – is at least 15 years. Other states set this requirement at 25 years to ensure that only the most appropriate vehicles qualify.
- Proper Storage Options – Classic cars must be parked in protected storage areas, such as a highly-secure garage, to ensure that they don’t suffer from damage.
- Mileage Restrictions – A classic car cannot be driven for more than a pretty specific number of miles, which is usually pretty restricted to driving vehicles to shows
- Driver Background – Drivers and owners of classic vehicles need to be a specific age – almost always far above 18 – before you can qualify for classic car insurance. The age varies depending on the state, though.
- Usage Limitations – Drivers cannot use a classic car as their primary vehicle or else they have voided its classification as a classic vehicle.
Please remember that these restrictions and guidelines will vary depending on the state in which you live. Some will be okay with some behaviors that other states will not allow. So if you live near or in Warwick, RI and you want classic car insurance, please contact us at The Slocum Agency Inc. to get the help that you need.